Monday, August 27, 2007

It's the journey, not the aggrevation!

I don't like remodeling. I like having remodeled. Painting, staining, rearranging everything in and out of rooms, tripping over stuff, and giving up my time normally spent outdoors in my garden to work inside on a ladder despite my fear of heights. What the heck have I gotten myself into I wonder out loud. But look at the bright side Jim says in that matter of fact tone, "think about the sweat equity we're accumulating by doing 95% of the work ourselves".

Meanwhile I'm roasting in 90-degree heat, forced to close up the house I turn on the air conditioner. And always, the smell of paint choking me as it settles in my throat along with the noxious toxins from the new vinyl and carpet flooring.

One thing I know for sure, there is no way to speed up our projects without sacrificing quality. So I have no choice but to accept the mess and stress of being trapped in a constant state of remodeling this year.

Funny thing is Jim doesn’t' mind tackling one project after another. His 'honey-do' list continues to grow yet he whistles while he works. Part of me resents him for it, and the other part is relieved that one of us enjoys the chaos and manual labor. The one with all the construction knowledge that is!

My mind never stops planning, even in my sleep I'm dreaming about completing our next project. Taming the concrete dungeon (a.k.a. basement) to build a new family room and bathroom. Which means more noisy evenings and weekends. Our neighbors must love us!